Tuesday, March 13, 2007

3/13/07

We did go get our walk Sunday. About 20 minutes or so. Good first walk for the spring. Sean will need to work up to a longer time. It was a beautiful day, although the breeze was a little chilly.

Did 15 minutes on the elliptical yesterday. The chiller (whatever that is) in our building is busted, and it was SOOOO hot everywhere, including the gym. I was tired, and hot, and 15 minutes was all I could take.

Didn't mention it Sunday, cause I was hoping it would end on Sunday, but it didn't; I've been eating like a pig since Friday. Just haven't really cared enough to moderate it. Don't know if it is hormones, laziness or what. Actually, I suspect carbs are involved. They are addictive, and a big trigger food for me. I really need to find balance there.

Today's Lenten devotional writer understands:

I am a food addict, carbohydrates in particular. I especially lose all control around bread products. A friend who is a recovering alcoholic has taught me much about addictions. We often talk about the addiction to alcohol being different than the addiction to food. You can live without alcohol; you can’t live without food. She can avoid alcohol; I can’t avoid food. I can moderate my behavior toward food but that is more easily said than done.
Because of my unhealthy relationship with bread, the image of God as the Bread of Life has not been helpful. The kind of bread I buy at the bakery is not life-giving. I am never satisfied, and trying to satisfy the hunger only causes shame and insecurity, drawing me deeper into the chaos of addiction.
Then it dawned on me when receiving Holy Communion. It was the chaos that Jesus redeemed. When I leave the Lord’s Table, fed with the Bread of Life, my head is satisfied with the truth of Christ; my heart is content with Jesus as the object of my affection. My hope is nourished and my desire satiated, for what can I wish for more than to know Christ — hungry no more.


Heidi Hagstrom

Here's the scripture it's based on:

Very truly, I tell you, whoever believes has eternal life. I am the bread of life. Your ancestors ate the manna in the wilderness, and they died. This is the bread that comes down from heaven, so that one may eat of it and not die. I am the living bread that came down from heaven. Whoever eats of this bread will live forever; and the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh."

John 6:47-51

My prayer today is that God will make my priorities right. Instead of always thinking about food, I need to always thing about Christ; the bread of life. I need to put food in it's proper place and perspective.

So may we all.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don't be so hard on yourself-we all have to fight all kinds of temptations- and you have been doing so well
Love,
Mom