Sunday, March 04, 2007

3/4/07

Today's Lenten devotional really hit home for me. Here's the scripture:


Do not fret because of the wicked; do not be envious of wrongdoers, for they will soon fade like the grass, and wither like the green herb. Trust in the Lord, and do good; so you will live in the land, and enjoy security. Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act. He will make your vindication shine like the light, and the justice of your cause like the noonday. Be still before the Lord, and wait patiently for him; do not fret over those who prosper in their way, over those who carry out evil devices. Refrain from anger, and forsake wrath. Do not fret - it leads only to evil. For the wicked shall be cut off, but those who wait for the Lord shall inherit the land. Yet a little while, and the wicked will be no more; though you look diligently for their place, they will not be there. But the meek shall inherit the land, and delight themselves in abundant prosperity.

Psalm 37:1-11

I'm in a situation where I am seeking the approval of others, and I'm not really sure why. I don't know that they are quite "evil", but theirs are not lives I want to emulate, yet my insecurity leads me to desire approval and acceptance. But the approval I really need to seek is God's.

The title for today's devotion is Blessed are the Meek. I know the work meek, but I wanted to see what the dictionary had to say:

meek
Main Entry:
meek

Pronunciation:
\ˈmēk\
Function:
adjective
Etymology:
Middle English, of Scandinavian origin; akin to Old Norse mjūkr gentle; akin to Welsh esmwyth soft
Date:
13th century
1 : enduring injury with patience and without resentment :
mild 2 : deficient in spirit and courage : submissive 3 : not violent or strong : moderate
— meek·ly adverb
— meek·ness noun


Definition 1 is especially applicable here. Turning the other cheek. Waiting for God to move. Waiting for me to grow and mature.

Here is how the devotion finished up. It is a wonderful benediction, and my prayer:

Go now, beloved child of God; go in the knowledge that you are blessed. With the promise of blessing to come, live a life given to God, a life of meekness, trust and determination.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You found a good scripture- not only for yourself-but me- and all people should follow it.
love, mom