Sunday, November 12, 2006

11/12/06

Called Shauna this afternoon to join me for a walk around Deming Park. We walked for about 30 minutes. One lap around the outside road of the park, then up Snow Hill. You probably can't tell so much from the pic, but it is STEEP! And people run this hill. People are idiots! It was a beautiful but cold day. And it was nice to talk with Shauna during the walk. Sat and watched the geese while waiting for her to arrive, too. That was pretty fun.

I have begun a fast from tv today. During last week's service, Scot, our pastor at eXchange, asked us to consider a fast as a means of growing closer to God, and to release the kingdom of God within us. TV immediately came to mind for me. I am an addict. So, starting this morning, no tv for 7 days. I don't miss the shows so much so far, but I've noticed the reflex to turn on the tv whenever I'm in a room with one. Even if I'm going to read, or don't have a specific show I want to watch. I will see some incidental tv; it will be on in the break room and waiting rooms at work, and at the fitness center. But I don't really watch in those places. It is at home where it will be a sacrifice. No news and Today show in the mornings. No Two and a Half Men Monday night. I did listen to the Colts on the radio.

One the the things that confirmed tv for my fast was very visual. Next to my bed, I saw my journal, my Bible, and the remote lying on top of both. What's wrong with that picture?

At first, I thought I didn't want to fast from food because I work with the public, and I'd get cranky. And I'm working out, so I need energy. But tonight, I realized that it's probably more because I would fast from food for weight loss, not to get closer to God. Yes, I'm addicted to food, too, but I think I need to deal with that in other ways. I was in such a hurry to buy Eating Mindfully, and now that I have it I haven't read more than a chapter!

I am replacing tv with reading. I checked several books out from the library, and one from the library at church. Right now I'm reading Through Painted Deserts by Don Miller. It's good. I really enjoyed his Blue Like Jazz.

Eating wise, I pigged out today. Good choices at breakfast, lousy choices for lunch and dinner. At least I worked out, so perhaps today will be a push calorie-wise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

u are braver than i am-tho i don't watch much tv- i would have to use this computer for my fast and i'm addicted to it! keep up the good work-love mom

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks